Magento is one of the biggest management systems for business development. It will be difficult for a beginning user to understand and use all of its functionality. In order to make new users feel comfortable using the system we have explained the functions and purposes of the core files in one of the previous articles in our blog. Now we will review the core directories and their content:
- 404 directory contains the modules for 404 page;
- app directory contains all modules, themes, files and configurations used by the system. All changes and modifications are done in this directory. It also contains the settings and design of the admin panel;
- downloader – it is the file for downloading and installing the system upgrade without using SSH;
- lib directory contains all PHP libraries of the system. This is the core of Magento code which joins the different elements into one system. Zend Framework is also located there;
- media directory contains all media files. It stores the product images and generated preview images;
- pkginfo directory contains text files which inform users about all changes made during the automatic or manual upgrades of the modules;
- report – this directory contains templates and skins for reports which Magento displays in case any errors occur.
Now that you know what core Magento files and directories are, you can modify the system, add or remove extensions, change design and settings, without being afraid to damage Magento operation. However, if anything has gone wrong, we recommend you contact GoMage support team. Our Magento experts will provide professional help regarding any issues you may have with Magento system.