Free software is very convenient in terms of saving money which is very important now. But is this statement right in the field of internet business? Let us review the advantages of Magento Enterprise, a paid Magento edition, as well as some facts about Magento Community edition.
Magento is an open source code platform. A free edition can be downloaded from the official site and it is used by quite significant number of online businesses. Over 25% of entrepreneurs use this Magento edition. Originally, the system founders designed it to meet the requirements of customers from absolutely different business spheres.
What are the advantages of the free Magento Community edition:
1. There is a separate section where design files are stored. Unlike most of the site building systems in which design settings need to be looked for in various folders Magento has a specific directory for design configurations only;
2. A huge quantity of additional modules. You can use different Magento extensions to extend your web store functionality. This is very convenient and efficient. The extensions can also be free or paid (those offer more functional capabilities, of course);
3. Easy system upgrade. You do not need any specific skills to upgrade Magento Community system, the only disadvantage is that it is necessary to install each version in strict order, e.g. you cannot jump from 1.5 to 1.9 at once. You will need to upgrade it to 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 and only then install the version 1.9. From the other point of view, this is even good and will help you to avoid confusion in the upgrade order;
4. At the very beginning, Community edition was created considering the requirements of both programmers and marketing specialists. The configuration of SEO, payment modules, product lines, sales, etc. - all is possible without a necessity to use third party extensions.
But, despite all that, in time Magento presented a more extended edition which is mostly used by large companies. It is called Magento Enterprise.
Main peculiarities of Magento Enterprise
We should mention at once that Magento Enterprise is not a cheap purchase. It costs $15,550. However, for that price you get the whole set of functions that were not available in earlier editions.
Magento Enterprise advantages
1. A web store mobility. You can configure the system to work on mobile devices without installation of any third party extensions. The necessary module is built in the system which is very convenient. If you need any assistance with the configuration you are welcome to contact Magento experts of GoMage and ask for advice.
2. The option of extended product offers is very useful. Now the web store owners can offer their customers those products in which they are actually interested. The list can be created with the help of the order history.
3. A widened multi-language option, extended currency support and other useful features for large international web portals and stores.
4. Extended SEO possibilities. For example, automatic site map generation, creation of an address list of sites that may serve as link agents, filling in metadata, etc.
5. You can use the admin panel to manage customers’ data such as their location and order history. Besides, you can control all their actions.
6. You have a possibility to run a private sale for VIP customers. This is very convenient for online auctions or just for stores that sale rare expensive products, such as Antiques, fashion boutiques, jewelry stores.
7. The company states that Magento Enterprise edition performs catalogs re-index much faster, is better optimized for the search engines and is more flexible compared to Magento Community.
8. A very simple and flexible tax calculation system that works without any additional extensions.
9. But the most necessary option is probably the possibility of site certification to be able to accept direct credit card payments without installation of additional modules. Now you do not need to install additional extensions from PayPal.
These are far not all advantages of the paid Magento edition. Naturally, it is only really large internet portals that actually need it, as they perform trade operations with a huge amount of clients every day.