Many Magento store owners eventually begin to consider the necessity of upgrade to the newer Magento version. Let us review how to perform Magento Upgrade and what difficulties may be encountered during this process.
General Rules and Concepts
We would like to pay your attention to the fact that your third party Magento extensions should be updated too in order to be compatible with the Magento upgrade.
The main of possible hidden dangers is the fact that there is no possibility to upgrade from e.g. version 1.5 to version 1.8 directly. The version 1.5 user will need to gradually move through all levels installing all upgrades in a specific order. If anything is done wrong during this process then further upgrade will not be possible.
- 1. Check all your modules for compatibility with the Magento version which you are going to install, otherwise your store may become non-operational or there may be errors preventing customers from placing orders;
- 2. It is mandatory to create a working copy of your store. This will be a development site version that will work perfectly in a test mode, there you can test all necessary modules, extensions or upgrades;
- 3. First, check the Magento upgrade on your store copy, this will help you to understand whether or not all modules are compatible and how the new version behaves in general;
- 4. Create a backup of your MySQL database. This is your insurance from possible problems or additional efforts for finding a reason of the problems with the upgrade;
- 5. We recommend to use ‘mysqldump’ program for creating a backup. Use ‘--skip-quick’ or ‘ --skip-extended-insert’ as keys, this will simplify the analysis of the work;
- 6. Check your mail. Many users miss this point and then their upgrade is not installed properly. All Magento users receive newsletters from Magento company where they are informed about the new version release. You need to make sure that there are no intermediate versions between your current version and the one you wish to install;
- 7. If any intermediate versions exist you need to install them first;
- 8. Remember to read the email where you found the information of the new version. Pay special attention to the ‘Upgrade Notes’ part where you can find the requirements which are off the installation standards of some extensions;
- 9. Go back to the admin panel and disable your Magento cache;
- 10. Using Magento Connect go through the automatic upgrade procedure;
- 11. Now upload your MySQL database and check its difference from the previous one, this will help you to evaluate the consequences and risks of the installed upgrade;
- 12. Use ‘Araxis Merge’ program in order to simplify the task of comparing codes, it will help you to find the differences or errors;
- 13. Go back to the admin panel again and enable cache;
- 14. Now you need to reconfigure the index of checking, modules, installed extensions;
- 15. Check the upgrade for working capacity.
As soon as you verify that your system copy works, you may proceed with the Magento upgrade procedure on the working system, this will minimize the risks and difficulties. In case you have any problems with installation or checking of the upgrade, you may use the help of Magento experts. Leave a comment or visit our forum http://magentoforum.com/, we will assist you to correct the problem as soon as possible.