There are many methods how to configure Magento 301 redirect. We suggest to consider the easiest variants how to do the redirect to the pages of your Magento store.
Why do you need to redirect a search robot and customer from one page to another? This need arises if you are filling in your Magento store, but have come to a conclusion that you want to change the links structure as an example and paid your attention to the fact that the breadcrumbs have not been configured (i.e. URL hierarchical path, for example: it was www.site.com/simplepage, and now it is www.site.com/category/simplepage). In this case the page without the category designation and which has been already indexed by the search robots will return the 404 error (Not Found).
The other example is when you had the page with a product or the entire category and you removed it. So, the robot will redirect customers to this page, but it does not exist anymore.
This issue will be resolved after several visits of the robot, but you will be able to lose not only customers, but also a static page weight will have lost PR points by that moment. In order to avoid such consequences the redirect is used.
One of the methods connected with admin panel
This method is good for those, who do not want to install a canonical structure of the path on the site, but at the same time do not want to change the redirect configuration code. In order to resolve this issue you need to log into the admin panel and go to «System» → «Settings» → «catalog» → «Web page addresses» and decide whether you want to create breadcrumbs on the site. This function is called hierarchical chain Item in the control panel. You should choose “Yes” or “No” in the «Use Categories Path for Product URLs» column.
Now you need to return back to the main page of the control panel and go to «System» → «Settings» → «Search engine optimization» → «Web page addresses» → «Redirect visitors with code 301 on the canonical address commodity» and choose “Yes”. After these actions you need to go «System» → «Settlement table» again and edit the table with the title «Addresses catalog pages». In order to do it you need to click the Update data button. After these actions customers will be redirected automatically to the page with the new URL and breadcrumbs.
Sometimes there are cases when the product address needs to be changed. For example, you have moved it to another section or changed the name and URL.
The following actions should be done:
- 1. You should go to the admin panel and find Catalog > URL Rewrite Management;
- 2. Click the Add URL button;
- 3. Choose “For product” in the URL Rewrite field;
- 4. You will see the list of the products from which you need to choose the necessary one;
- 5. After the product is chosen, you need to find the Skip Category Selection button.
- 6. You should run the following procedures in the appeared section:
- 7. You need to enter a new URL in the request path. Please, remember that this line should be unique.
8. Now you need to set up Rewrite:
- Temporary Redirect (302);
- Permanent (301).
- 9. Save the changes.
If the category address has been changed, then they should be redirected too. You need to do the following:
- 1. Go to Catalog > URL Rewrite Management;
- 2. Find the Ad URL item;
- 3. You will see a new page where you need to choose Create URL Rewrite to;
- 4. Choose a category for the redirect;
5. Enter a new URL address the same as you did it in case with the product. It should be unique. And enter the necessary values in the Redirect fields:
- Temporary (302);
- Permanent (301)
- 6. Click the Save button.
After these actions the file is saved and the redirect work is checked. If you want to add your method how to configure Magento 301 redirect, please leave your articles or comments on GoMage forum http://magentoforum.com/.