A site map is a necessary tool for any web store, its presence and quality determine the speed of the page and content indexing, and thus, the amount of the target audience and potential customers. Let us review how to create a Google sitemap Magento.
- 1. Access the admin panel;
- 2. Go to the admin menu "Catalog" -> "Google Sitemap";
- 3. You see two fields that need to be filled. In the first one you can enter the site name, in the second one you will need to choose an option from a drop-down list, the default value chosen is "sitemap";
- 4. If you have chosen the second variant (which is recommended), you now need to show Google the full path to the website root;
- 5. You cannot place this map in the root directory of the website, since you would need to set 777 permissions for that directory, but then there is no sense in using the sitemap. So, you need to create a subdirectory named ‘root’ and set 777 permissions for it;
- 6. Now save the file and generate it;
- 7. The file will automatically setup the admin permissions, they would be either 666 or 777;
- 8. Important note! You do not need to create a file with .xml extension because it will cause errors in the future. Magento will program that file automatically;
- 9. Save the file, restart the main page, all is done now.
If necessary, you can use a special Magento extension from GoMage which programs the Google sitemap Magento. If you have any questions regarding the installation or creation of the sitemap, please leave a comment, and our GoMage specialists will answer your questions as soon as possible.